Explore the metal casting process at the Carrie Blast Furnaces!
Aluminum Casting Session
Create a unique work of art from aluminum. Using everyday materials, you’ll create a one-sided design in resin-bonded sand—then watch as Rivers of Steel’s foundry crew casts your artwork from molten metal!
The Aluminum Casting Session is a great way to try something new. Take a class with a friend. Create a special gift or unique memento to keep. You’ll take your cast aluminum objects home at the end of the workshop.
No prior experience or artistic background necessary.
Hours & Admission*
Aluminum Casting Sessions are offered on April 17, May 15, June 5, July 10, August 14, September 11, & October 16, 2023 from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
*Workshops are limited to 20 participants. We recommend purchasing tickets in advance.
"Carrie Blast Furnace is a behemoth of metal that pays homage to everything Pittsburgh is built on. It's a trip into history and culture that every Yinzer should visit."—Jen Doceour, Google Review
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in the communities of Swissvale and Rankin in the Monongahela River Valley.
The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Maintain social distance: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: Clothing you can get dirty. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available and the ramp to the workshop space is ADA compliant. However, the grounds to the space may not be accessible for all wheelchairs. Contact us for details and options.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the events
such as tours, workshops, and festivals happening at each unique attraction.