Learn to hammer hot metal at the Carrie Blast Furnaces!
Blacksmithing Basics: Hooks & Hairpins
This three-hour introductory workshop is a great way to explore the art of blacksmithing and create something unique. Participants will learn the basics of forging steel and use essential blacksmithing tools to create a steel hook or hairpin to take home. These sessions are led by Rivers of Steel staff artist and bladesmith Jared Ondovchik (aka Artifact Metalworks).
Hours & Admission*
These workshops are offered on the following dates in 2023 from 5:30-8:30 p.m.: March 23, April 20, May 21, June 29, July 23, and September 21, 2023.
*Workshops are limited to 12 participants. We recommend purchasing tickets in advance as we cannot guarantee tickets will be available for walk-ups.
"We were at Rivers of Steel through the Wounded Warrior Project and it was awesome. I would recommend visiting these guys and having a ball!" —Paul Stajduhar, Metal Arts Workshop Attendee
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in the communities of Swissvale and Rankin in the Monongahela River Valley.
The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Maintain social distance: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: Clothing you can get dirty. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available and the ramp to the workshop space is ADA compliant. However, the grounds to the space may not be accessible for all wheelchairs. Contact us for details and options.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.