Join Rivers of Steel for a special tour of the Carrie Furnaces’ Iron Garden led by renowned landscape design consultant, author, lecturer and photographer Rick Darke.
Iron Garden Tour with Rick Darke
Carrie Blast Furnaces
About Rick Darke
Pennsylvania-based Rick Darke’s work is grounded in an observational ethic that blends ecology, horticulture and cultural geography in the design and care of living landscapes. His collaborative projects include parks, post-industrial sites, transportation corridors, conservation departments, botanic gardens and residential landscapes. His many books include The Living Landscape: Designing for Beauty and Biodiversity in the Home Garden, co-authored with Doug Tallamy, and Gardens of the High Line: Elevating the Nature of Modern Landscapes co-authored with Piet Oudolf. Rick has been photographing Carrie Furnaces since 2006. For further info visit: www.rickdarke.com
Hours & Admission*
This program occurs twice on Saturday, June 29, 2019. The first tour is from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m., followed by a second tour from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
This event outside in the Iron Garden on the Carrie Furnace Site
- What to wear: The tour is outdoors; please dress for the weather.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. Food amenities are generally not (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals.)
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Allow one and one-half hour for this program.
- Children: While kids of all ages are welcome, the content is recommended for children for ages 8+.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact email@example.com.