Create your own graffiti-style masterpiece at the Carrie Blast Furnaces!
Graffiti & Style-Writing Workshop
Join Rivers of Steel master urban artist Shane Pilster on a tour of the international collection of graffiti murals located at the Carrie Blast Furnaces. Learn about the individual works of art and the overall history and culture of graffiti. After your tour, you’ll have a chance to try it for yourself! The hands-on experience will teach you the basics of aerosol painting and style-writing techniques. Then take home your completed paintings at the end of the workshop.
Hours & Admission*
Graffiti & Style-Writing Workshops are offered May 7, June 11, July 8, August 5, Sept 16, and October 15, 2023.
*Workshops are limited to 15 participants. We highly recommend purchasing tickets in advance as we cannot guarantee tickets will be available for walk-ups.
"Carrie Blast Furnace is a behemoth of metal that pays homage to everything Pittsburgh is built on. It's a trip into history and culture that every Yinzer should visit."—Jen Duceour, Google Review, October 2021
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in the communities of Swissvale and Rankin in the Monongahela River Valley.
The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Social distancing: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: The majority of each tour is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. Food amenities are generally not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible. Contact email@example.com to discuss alternative options.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Allow two hours for your tour.
- Children: While kids of all ages are welcome, the tour content is recommended for children ages 8+.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the events
such as tours, workshops, and festivals happening at each unique attraction.