Thursday, Friday & Saturday
11:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Intro to Iron Casting
Iron casting is a community workshop experience!
Intro to Iron Casting participants work with experienced Rivers of Steel teaching artists to learn the basics of foundry work, pattern and mold making, and receive an overview of the iron casting process step by step. No prior experience necessary. This workshop covers multi-part mold and pattern design, lost- wax casting, resin-bonded sand molds and experience participating in an iron casting demonstration. The course results in your own unique design/s cast in solid iron!
All items for this workshop will be cast on Saturday, June 26, 2021. Cooled castings can be picked up the following day, between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Intro to Iron Casting workshops include up to 250 lbs. of sand and corresponding chemical, waste removal and related foundry consumables. Sand and chemical needs beyond this allotted amount are available for $.30/lb. Any additional material fees are required to be paid upon pick up of the final castings.
Hours & Admission*
This program is offered twice in 2021 on the following dates: June 24 – 26 and September 16 – 18 from 11:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: Face masks are required to be worn for the duration of your visit for all guests.The majority of each tour is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Maintain social distance: Signage has been placed throughout the site reminding you to maintain a safe distance of six feet from others.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.