Monday – Saturday, July 22 – 27
Open hours: 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Week-long Iron Intensive
This six-day workshop features extended shop time onsite and in-depth instruction and/or assistance catered to the needs of each individual. Participants will have the chance to learn and experiment with multiple pattern-making materials and create multiple large and complex multi-part sand molds.
Prior experience or Intro to Iron Casting is recommended. Registration includes access to the Carrie Furnaces foundry daily between 10:00 am – 7:00 pm and the ultimate experience of participating in an iron pour from a coke fired cupola—just like the historic furnaces onsite!
Week-long Iron Intensive workshops include up to 500 lbs. of sand and corresponding chemical. Sand and chemical needs beyond this allotted amount are available for $.25/lb. Waste removal and foundry consumables are included in this price.
Hours & Admission*
This program is offered twice. On from July 22 through July 27, and again from September 23 through September 28. Open hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven – sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. Food amenities are generally not (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals.)
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Allow three and a half hours for your workshop.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.