Monday through Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Visiting Artist Roberto Visani
Large-Mold Iron Intensive
This workshop is intended for the creation of large molds and features extended shop time onsite at the Carrie Blast Furnaces and in-depth instruction / assistance catered to the needs of each individual. Participants will have the chance to learn and experiment with multiple pattern-making materials and create multiple large and complex multi-part sand molds.
Prior experience or Intro to Iron Casting is recommended. Registration includes access to the Carrie Furnaces foundry daily between 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. and the ultimate experience of participating in an iron pour from a coke fired cupola—just like the historic furnaces onsite!
All items for this workshop will be cast on Saturday, June 24, 11 – 7 p.m. Cooled castings can be picked up on the following Sunday between 10 a.m. – 3 .p.m.
Weeklong Iron Intensive workshops include up to 400 lbs. of sand and corresponding chemical, waste removal and related foundry consumables. Sand and chemical needs beyond this allotted amount are available for $.31/lb. Any additional material fees must be paid upon pick up of the final castings at the end of the workshop period.
Hours & Admission*
Weeklong intensive workshops are offered twice in 2023 on the following dates: June 19 – 25 (large molds only) and October 2 – 7 (small molds only) from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
*Workshops are limited to 10 participants. We recommend purchasing tickets in advance as we cannot guarantee tickets will be available for walk-ups.
"We were at Rivers of Steel through the Wounded Warrior Project and it was awesome. I would recommend visiting these guys and having a ball!" —Paul Stajduhar, Metal Arts Workshop Attendee
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in the communities of Swissvale and Rankin in the Monongahela River Valley.
The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Maintain social distance: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: Clothing you can get dirty. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available and the ramp to the workshop space is ADA compliant. However, the grounds to the space may not be accessible for all wheelchairs. Contact us for details and options.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the events
such as tours, workshops, and festivals happening at each unique attraction.