Carrie Blast Furnaces
Showcasing eleven unique multimedia installations created by a diverse group of local artists and engineers, LightPlay will be on display at the Carrie Blast Furnaces during select evenings from September 10 through October 1.
LightPlay features a range of video projection and light-based installations that engage with the site’s intricate structural characteristics, cavernous pathways and unique industrial aesthetic. This one-of-a-kind experience includes immersive light and sound installations, digital video artworks, and illuminated sculptures that transform the former blast furnace into a sensorial maze. Danny Bracken, Ian Brill, Aaron Henderson, Ryder Henry, Lori Hepner, Ricardo Iamuuri, Shohei Katayama, Todd Keebs, Julie Mallis, Projectile Objects, and Alisha Wormsley have contributed artworks to this exhibition.
A project of Rivers of Steel Arts, LightPlay is made possible through the generous support of Eaton Corporation.
Tickets are $9 / person. Tickets for this special exhibition are timed to help to maintain adequate social distancing throughout the evening.
Hours & Admission*
Timed tickets are offered during eleven evenings in 2020, 8:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. on September 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 23, 24, 25, 26, 30, and October 1.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- WARNING: Installations in this exhibit contain strobe lighting effects which can affect those with epilepsy or those who are prone to seizures.
- What to wear: Face masks are required to be worn for the duration of your visit for all guests ages 2 and above.The majority of the exhibit is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Maintain social distance: Signage has been placed throughout the site reminding you to maintain a safe distance of six feet from others.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is encouraged. Use #LightPlayPGH, tag us @riversofsteel on IG and check in at Rivers of Steel: Carrie Blast Furnaces. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during this exhibition are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF)
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- What to expect: The experience is self-guided; pathways and interior spaces will be dimly lit to help guide you. However, you are welcome to bring a flashlight. Staff will also be stationed in some locations to help you find your way from one installation to the next. Timed-ticketing will allow guests to space out in small groups. Occasionally, there may be a short wait time before you can enter the next installation.
- Duration: Allow approximately one hour to complete the journey through the site.
- Arrival / What to bring: When you arrive please check-in at the front gate. Bring paper copies of your tickets or have them accessible on a smart phone. If you arrive early please remain in the gate area and do not wander the site.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104. If you need to call for directions or assistance please call 412.464.0838.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.