(Three Hour Safari)
Carrie Blast Furnaces
Let the Carrie Blast Furnaces be your muse! Sign up for a photography session and roam the site of the National Historic Landmark. Take inspiration from the wide vistas or the delicate details. Choose your own adventure on this photo safari!
The interplay of light and seasonality at the Carrie Furnaces offer endless perspectives of this industrial muse. These three-hour photo safaris are appropriate for both novice and experienced photographers who crave an “open” shooting experience with very little interruption, guidance, or interference. Take your time and line up the perfect image of the historic Carrie Furnaces!
Hours & Admission*
This program is offered regularly in 2021, from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. on April 18, May 16, July 11, August 8, September 12, & October 10.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: Face masks are required to be worn for the duration of your visit for all guests.The majority of each tour is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Maintain social distance: Signage has been placed throughout the site reminding you to maintain a safe distance of six feet from others.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.