5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
The Doodle Bowl Experience
This is not your grandma’s sip and paint party! DYOB with BYOB!
Doodle your own bowl and bring your own bottle of booze for this Doodle Bowl Experience! Invite your friends and join Rivers of Steel for a night of fun and creativity at the Carrie Blast Furnaces. Our Metal Arts team will help you create your own bowl design (doodle bowl) and cast that bowl in solid aluminum! The bowl mold and tools are provided, you just carve your own design right into the pre-made mold. Finished bowl castings can be taken home at the end of the night.
Hours & Admission*
This program is offered three times in 2020, on Sunday, June 28, July 26, August 30, September 27, and October 18 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: Closed toed shoes. Clothing you can get dirty. If you would like to participate in the casting portion of the workshop then work boots are required footwear. We have all other necessary safety gear on site. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven – sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. Food amenities are generally not (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals.)
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- What to expect: Each of you will create a roughly 4in x 4in x 2in(depth) one-sided design that will be molded and cast in aluminum. When you arrive you will create your designs using a range of every-day materials we have on hand, or items of your choice that you have brought. These designs will then be invested in a resin-bonded sand mold. Once sufficiently hardened you will remove your design objects from the sand mold. The sand mold then contains the negative imprint of the design into which the molten aluminum will be poured. Then your design will be removed and cooled for you to take home.
- Duration: Allow three and a half hours for your workshop.
When you arrive please check-in at the front gate. Bring paper copies of your tickets or have them accessible on a smart phone. If you arrive early please remain in the gate area and do not wander the site.
What to bring: Nothing is required but if you have small sculpting tools or specific materials you would like to experiment with please bring them. If you are bringing items to be cast please keep in mind the size limits mentioned above and be sure your objects/materials are flexible and malleable enough to be removed from the hardened sand molds. We can advise on materials once you arrive so feel free to bring a range of options from which to choose.If you need to call for directions or assistance please call 412-464-0838
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.