Tuesday, October 15
5:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Aluminum Casting Session
This workshop is a great way to explore the metal casting process and try something new! No prior experience or artistic background necessary! Take a class with a friend; create a special gift or unique piece of art. Participants will learn how to create a unique pattern from everyday materials and invest this one-sided design in resin-bonded sand. Cast aluminum objects can be taken home at the end of the workshop.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven – sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. Food amenities are generally not (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals.)
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Allow three and a half hours for your workshop.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.