Step back in time to the early 1900s and discover the artistry of handcrafted manufacturing.
Guided Machine Shop Tours
A visit to W.A. Young & Sons is a step back in time! Nestled in the historic district of Rices Landing, Greene County, the Machine Shop is an astonishing industrial treasure.
Built in 1900, the shop produced parts for steamboats, coal mines, railroads, and supported local small businesses. When it closed in 1965, the building was locked and all of its tools and equipment were left in place—perfectly preserving its line shaft driven, 25-machine network for future generations.
Visitors tour the blacksmith shop, pattern shop, hardware store, and foundry—and marvel as the machines are switched on during a live demonstration of this turn-of-the-last century technology!
Demonstration at the Machine Shop
Hours & Admission*
The Machine Shop is open on most Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 4: 00 p.m. Call ahead to confirm availability. Talk to Bly at 724.710.4898.
Location & Directions
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: Dress for the weather. The building is not temperature controlled. Additionally, the ground and flooring are uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The antiquity of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Restrooms are available at the park near the entrance to Water Street. Food amenities are generally not available.
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: This National Historic Landmark is generally not fully accessible, but can meet some patrons’ needs. Contact email@example.com to inquire.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location & GPS: The historic town of Rices Landing is located in a valley where cell service can be limited. You may not want to rely on your GPS.
- Children: While kids of all ages are welcome, the tour content is recommended for children ages 8+.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.