Join Rivers of Steel for an open house at the Carrie Blast Furnaces!
Open House at the Carrie Blast Furnaces
Stop by for a guided historical tour. Visit the Iron Garden Walk. Explore all of our arts programs, from graffiti and folk arts to the excitement of a live hot metal pour. This free event is a great way to experience all that this National Historic Landmark has to offer!
Hours & Admission*
This one-day open House is on Saturday, August 20 from 1:00 p.m to 5:00 p.m.
"Carrie Blast Furnace is a behemoth of metal that pays homage to everything Pittsburgh is built on. It's a trip into history and culture that every Yinzer should visit."—Jen Duceour, Google Review, October 2021
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104. The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Social distancing: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: The majority of this open house is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. For this open house, we’ll have free snacks and beverages!
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternative options.
- Liability: All visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. This event does not require a ticket or preregistration.
- Duration: Allow at least two hours for your experience
- Children: Kids are welcome at this open house event! There will be hands-on activities; the tour content is recommended for children ages 8+.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact email@example.com.