Join Rivers of Steel for a special tour of the Carrie Blast Furnaces—The Black Experience at the Carrie Furnaces!
RADical Day at the Carrie Blast Furnaces
This special tour sifts through the history of the Carrie Furnaces via the lens of a pivotal resource—the Black migrants who traveled from the South and created a career path for themselves and future generations, amassing seniority and skills in some of the most difficult roles at the mill. Through the stories of everyday workers and changemakers, this free, one-hour tour paints a realistic picture of life inside—and outside—the mill in the 20th century.
"Carrie Blast Furnace is a behemoth of metal that pays homage to everything Pittsburgh is built on. It's a trip into history and culture that every Yinzer should visit."—Jen Duceour, Google Review, October 2021
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104. The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Social distancing: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: The majority of this open house is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. No concessions will be available on this day, but bottled water is available for free upon request.
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible. Contact email@example.com to discuss alternative options.
- Liability: All visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. This event does require a ticket; preregistration required..
- Duration: Allow at least one hours for your experience
- Children: Kids are welcome at this RADical Day event, but tour content is recommended for children ages 8+.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.