Forge your own blade at the Carrie Blast Furnaces!
This three-day workshop features extended shop time and instruction focusing on the forging techniques needed to produce sharp-edged tools of high-carbon steel. Participants will learn the fundamental skills required to forge a blacksmithing knife with scroll handle from a single piece of steel. These sessions are led by Rivers of Steel staff artist and bladesmith Jared Ondovchik (aka Artifact Metalworks).
Hours & Admission*
The Bladesmithing 1 workshop is offered on May 8 – 10, July 17 – 19, September 18 – 20, and October 23 – 25, 2023. Winter sessions are offered on January 9 – 11 and February 20 – 22, 2024. All workshops are from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. daily.
Workshops are limited to 8 participants. Purchase tickets in advance.
"I had no forging experience before this class, but walked away with a beautiful knife that I used while camping the very next day. I successfully forged a blade, and this class showed that with affordable equipment and practice, that I could successfully forge blades on my own. The instructor was knowledgeable and highly skilled, the equipment exceeded my needs, and the class size permitted excellent attention from the instructor when needed. Overall, I recommend this class for anyone interested in forging a blade but with no experience. " —Bill Morrison, Bladesmithing 1 workshop attendee
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in the communities of Swissvale and Rankin in the Monongahela River Valley.
The address for the National Historic Landmark is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: Clothing you can get dirty. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available and the ramp to the workshop space is ADA compliant. However, the grounds to the space may not be accessible for all wheelchairs. Contact us for details and options.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.