Forge your own bottle opener at the Carrie Blast Furnaces!
Hot Metal Happy Hour: Forged Bottle Openers
Join us for a Hot Metal Happy Hour at the Carrie Blast Furnaces.
This three-hour, hands-on event is an excellent introduction to blacksmithing. Work with hot steel to create your own custom bottle opener! In the process, you’ll learn basic blacksmithing techniques including slitting, drifting, punching, bending, and more. At the end of the session, put your handiwork to the test when you crack open an ice cold bottled beverage to toast your accomplishment!
These sessions are led by Rivers of Steel staff artist and bladesmith Jared Ondovchik (aka Artifact Metalworks).
Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are not included with the registration—BYOB.
Hours & Admission*
These workshops are offered on the following dates in 2024 from 5:30 – 9:00 p.m.: April 5, June 6, August 23, September 26, and November 1.
Workshops are limited to eight participants. Purchase tickets in advance.
"We were at Rivers of Steel through the Wounded Warrior Project and it was awesome. I would recommend visiting these guys and having a ball!" —Paul Stajduhar, Metal Arts Workshop Attendee
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in the communities of Swissvale and Rankin in the Monongahela River Valley.
The address for the National Historic Landmark is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- What to wear: Clothing you can get dirty. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available and the ramp to the workshop space is ADA compliant. However, the grounds to the space may not be accessible for all wheelchairs. Contact us for details and options.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The address is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact email@example.com.