Explore the metal casting process and step back in time at W.A. Young & Sons Foundry and Machine Shop!
Scratch Block Aluminum Casting at W.A. Young & Sons Foundry and Machine Shop
This workshop is a great way to explore the metal casting process and try something new! No prior experience or artistic background necessary—just bring your creativity and a friend or two! Sand mold and tools are provided. Rivers of Steel’s experienced metal-casting team will help you create your own design, then step back and watch as the metal team pours molten aluminum into your mold. You’ll be able to take your casting home at the end of the workshop.
This workshop also includes a mini-tour of the Machine Shop!
Space is limited to ten participants; tickets must be purchased in advance. You will be required to show your electronic or paper tickets for admission.
Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
Hours & Admission*
Scratch Mold Sessions are offered on July 24, August 21, September 4 & October 30th, 2022 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
*Workshops are limited to 10 participants. We recommend purchasing tickets in advance.
Location & Directions
The Machine Shop is located at 114 Water Street, Rices Landing, PA 15357. Guests are welcome to park in the parking lot near the entrance of Water Street, on the left side before rounding the bend. From there the walk to the the Machine Shop is 400 feet and has a very slight incline. Guest with limited mobility may be dropped off near the front of the building, but please be advised that turnaround space can be limited directly in front of the Shop.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Maintain social distance: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: Clothing you can get dirty. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Public restrooms are available near the parking area at the entrance to Water St. Food amenities are not available.
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: This National Historic Landmark is generally not fully accessible, but can meet some patrons’ needs. Contact email@example.com to inquire.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Please allow two hours for your workshop.
- Location & GPS: The Machine Shop is located at 114 Water Street, Rices Landing, PA 15357. The historic town of Rices Landing is located in a valley where cell service can be limited. You may not want to rely on your GPS.
- Parking: Guests are welcome to park in the parking lot near the entrance of Water Street, on the left side before rounding the bend. From there the walk to the the Machine Shop is 400 feet and has a slight incline. Guest with limited mobility may be dropped off near the front of the building, but please be advised that turnaround space can be limited directly in front of the Shop
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.