Take a tour of Alloy Pittsburgh 2021 at the Carrie Blast Furnaces!
This special version of the Arts & Grounds Tour is only available Fridays through Sundays, August 29 – September 26.
Alloy Pittsburgh 2021 Tours
Your tour begins with walk through the Iron Garden, where you’ll learn about the ways Rivers of Steel interprets this historic site through a creative lens, from managing the ecology of the grounds to the various arts programs that activate the site—including Alloy Pittsburgh, of course!
This one-hour tour includes the Iron Garden, graffiti artworks in the Ore Yard, the renowned Carrie Deer sculpture, other metal arts sculptures, and current (and past) Alloy Pittsburgh installations.
Discover for yourself how a National Historic Landmark can be a way to understand the post-industrial communities of today—while also shining a light on what’s possible for the region’s future!
Hours & Admission*
Fridays through Sundays, August 29 – September 26, 2021.
*Tours are limited to 15 participants. Advance registration required.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104. The address of the Carrie Blast Furnaces is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- Masks: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies. Masks are to be worn indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- Social distancing: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: This tour is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. Food amenities are generally not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Allow one hour for your tour.
- Children: While kids of all ages are welcome, the tour content is recommended for children ages 8+.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Learn more about the events
such as tours, workshops, and festivals happening at each unique attraction.