Join Rivers of Steel and the artists of Alloy Pittsburgh 2021 for a special evening reception paired with an artist-led tour of the installations!
Alloy Pittsburgh—Meet-the-Artists Happy Hour
Alloy Pittsburgh was conceived in 2013 as a laboratory for artists to investigate the Carrie Blast Furnaces and respond through the creation of temporary site-based artworks that are installed at the National Historic Landmark.
Now in its fourth iteration, Alloy Pittsburgh returns to reimagine the future of the Carrie Blast Furnaces. Inspired by its legacy and the people of the Mon Valley communities that surround the historic landmark today, artists Darnell Chambers, Reba Harmon, Lori Hepner, Sandy Kessler Kaminski, Jan Loney, and Bradford Mumpower created brand new site-based artworks.
Don’t miss this highly anticipated community and site-based art exhibition!
This special evening includes light refreshments and beverages.
Alloy Pittsburgh 2021 is supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. Additional support has been provided by the Fine Foundation, the Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation, and Eaton Corporation.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104. The address of the Carrie Blast Furnaces is 801 Carrie Furnace Blvd. Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- Masks: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies. Masks are to be worn indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- Maintain social distance: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: This event is inside and outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms and wash stations are available. Food amenities are generally not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors are required to sign a liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Allow two hours for your this program.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Blast Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact email@example.com.