Now in its fourth iteration, Alloy Pittsburgh returns to reimagine the future of the Carrie Blast Furnaces.
Alloy Pittsburgh Opening Reception
Inspired by its legacy and the people of the Mon Valley communities that surround the historic landmark today, artists Darnell Chambers, Reba Harmon, Lori Hepner, Sandy Kessler Kaminski, Jan Loney, and Bradford Mumpower created brand new site-based artworks.
Don’t miss this highly anticipated community and site-based art exhibition! Join Rivers of Steel and the exhibiting artists for the opening reception of Alloy Pittsburgh 2021 at the Carrie Blast Furnaces, Saturday, August 28, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. This is a free event with self-guided tours, drinks and snacks. While the opening reception is free; advance registration is required.
Community Partners: Braddock Carnegie Library Association in Braddock, The Dragon’s Den in Homestead, Rankin Christian Center in Rankin, Three Rivers Village School in Hazelwood, and the Wilkins School Community Center in Swissvale.
Free shuttles will circulate every 40 minutes to and from the Carrie Blast Furnaces to each location listed below. Masks required for the duration of the shuttle ride.
- Braddock Civic Plaza 451 Braddock Ave, Braddock, PA, 15104
- Wilkins School Community Center 7604 Charleston Ave, Swissvale, PA 15218
- Rankin Christian Center – 230 3rd Ave, Rankin, PA 15104
- Three Rivers Village School 134 E Elizabeth St, Pittsburgh, PA 15207
- Dragon’s Den – 1008 Amity St Homestead, PA 15120
Can’t make the opening date? No worries, weekly tours of Alloy Pittsburgh installations following the opening reception will be offered Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays at 10:30 a.m. throughout the Sept 26. Reserve your ticket.
Hours & Admission*
This event is from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on August 28, 2021.
Free; registration required.
*Space is limited.
Location & Directions
The Carrie Blast Furnaces are located in Swissvale and Rankin, PA in the Monongahela River Valley. The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- Masks: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies. Masks are to be worn indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- Social distancing: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: This exhibit is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is encouraged. Use #AlloyPittsburgh, tag us @riversofsteel on IG and check in at Rivers of Steel: Carrie Blast Furnaces. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during this exhibition are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF)
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- What to expect: The experience is self-guided; Rivers of Steel staff will be stationed around the site to assist with questions. Welcome remarks are scheduled for 2:30. Light refreshments will be served.
- Arrival / What to bring: When you arrive please check-in at the front gate. Bring paper copies of your tickets or have them accessible on a smart phone. If you arrive early please remain in the gate area and do not wander the site.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104. If you need to call for directions or assistance please call 412.464.0838.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
Learn more about the events
such as tours, workshops, and festivals happening at each unique attraction.