Explore the metal casting process and step back in time at Young and Sons Foundry and Machine Shop!
Scratch Block Aluminum Casting at Young and Son’s Foundry and Machine Shop
This workshop is a great way to explore the metal casting process and try something new! No prior experience or artistic background necessary—just bring your creativity and a friend or two! Sand mold and tools are provided. Rivers of Steel’s experienced metal-casting team will help you create your own design, then step back and watch as the metal team pours molten aluminum into your mold. You’ll be able to take your casting home at the end of the workshop.
Tickets must be purchased in advance. You will be required to show your electronic or paper tickets for admission. No tickets will be sold at the door.
A maximum of 10 participants will be permitted per session. Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
Hours & Admission*
Scratch Mold Sessions are offered on June 12, July 24, August 21, September 4 & October 30th, 2022 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
*Workshops are limited to 10 participants. We recommend purchasing tickets in advance.
Location & Directions
The Machine Shop is located at 114 Water Street, Rices Landing, PA 15357. Guests are welcome to park in the parking lot near the entrance of Water Street, on the left side before rounding the bend. From there the walk to the the Machine Shop is 400 feet and has a very slight incline. Guest with limited mobility may be dropped off near the front of the building, but please be advised that turnaround space can be limited directly in front of the Shop.
What to Know Before You Go
As a former industrial site, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure an enjoyable visit.
- COVID-19 Policies: Please be advised of our current COVID-19 policies.
- Maintain social distance: Social distancing is no longer mandatory, but we do ask that you be mindful of the people around you, allowing for a comfortable amount of space when possible.
- What to wear: Clothing you can get dirty. The workshop space is not temperature controlled; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available and the ramp to the workshop space is ADA compliant. However, the grounds to the space may not be accessible for all wheelchairs. Contact us for details and options.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Location: The entrance to the Carrie Furnaces is located at Carrie Furnace Boulevard, Rankin, PA 15104.
Thank you for following these guidelines. We wish you to have the best visit possible, and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the visitor experience.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.