Reopening Rivers of Steel’s Attractions
The safety of our employees and visitors is of paramount importance. Rivers of Steel adheres to the guidelines and restrictions set by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Rivers of Steel is part of a group of museums and cultural institutions from across southwestern Pennsylvania that have been collaboratively preparing our organizations for safe reopenings. We have been working together to develop and share best practices, in conjunction with federal, state, and local recommendations. These best practices have been adapted to reflect the unique needs of each of our attractions and are designed for the safety and comfortability of our guests.
Each of Rivers of Steel’s five attractions are being given continuous consideration, examining a variety of factors on how to best manage our facilities and host our guests. Please keep in mind that what is stated below will likely change as the pandemic evolves or subsides. Rivers of Steel reserves the right to modify or cancel any program in the interest of public safety. Furthermore, individuals who do not abide by our policies will be require to leave.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carrie Blast Furnaces
- Industrial tours of the Carrie Blast Furnaces will resume on Friday, June 19, followed by arts workshops on June 28.
- Tours will be initially be offered on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- All tickets must be purchased in advance. No walk-ups will be permitted.
- Tours will be limited to 50% capacity.
- Tours will predominantly occur outdoors. Time inside the Cast House and other structures will be limited with social distancing measures in place.
- All guests will be required to wear a mask, no exceptions.
- Families and groups arriving together are welcome to interact with one another but are required to maintain six feet of distance between themselves and other tour guests and staff.
- See our full COVID-19 policies here.
Additional COVID-19 accommodations: Extra portable restrooms will be installed at the Carrie Blast Furnaces, along with two handwashing stations. Hand sanitizer will also be provided, including at places along the tour after using handrails. Restrooms will be sanitized between each tour.
The Historic Pump House and Water Tower
Parking at the Pump House for trailhead access has resumed. To ensure the safety of all visitors, the restrooms in the Water Tower will remain closed to the general public indefinitely.
Rental events at the Pump House are resuming in accordance with Pennsylvania’s Green Phase guidelines. Interested in scheduling a private event? Contact email@example.com.
Bost Building: Visitor Center for the Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area & Archives
The Bost Building will remain closed to the public for the indefinite future. Archival research is by appointment only. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The Explorer Riverboat
Initially, the Explorer riverboat will remain closed for public tours and programs. We are continuing to evaluate possibilities for private events, in addition to the possible resumption of tours. Interested parties should contact email@example.com.
Educators interested in discussing field trips options for the 2020-2021 school years should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.
W.A. Young & Sons Foundry and Machine Shop
The Machine Shop will remain closed for the indefinite future.